28 June 2011

you know you're grown up when...

Lately, I've been feeling grown up. Here's why:

- I work 40 hours a week, usually 8:30am - 5:30pm. It gives me a sense of purpose; I like being diligent at work knowing that I am contributing to a real company for real people. But, it's also tough and exhausting.

- My dad suggested (when I write suggested, I really mean he gave me the form and said "fill this out") that I get my own credit card. Responsible adults need to have good credit apparently.

- I have money. Now, it's my full responsibility to pay for the things I "need." I now have many second thoughts about purchasing items, like that pair of shoes I have to have. This is usually just proceeded with me handing over my card at the register thinking, "maybe I shouldn't have done this."

- Getting a drink at dinner is fun. Fully enjoying happy hour at work is also very fun.

- 10:00pm is my bed time. Well, not really, but it's the time I really want to go to sleep.

- Everyone keeps asking me if working at AOL is something I would consider after college. Wait...what? I think in the back of my mind, I always saw myself going to grad school right after college. That's just what you do, right? I don't think I ever fully considered going right into the work force. Subconsciously, grad school was what I going to do. Now, I am realizing that I am starting to reconsider that. And, you know what, this realization isn't as scary as I thought it would be. Maybe I'm meant to be a working woman.

For now, I'm just going to enjoy my time as an intern, knowing that I am going back to school in a few short weeks. I'm need to save all this adult-ness until I've graduated. I still need time to be without that many responsibilities, to be careless and silly, to have minimal stress and worry. I need time to be a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment