19 December 2011

homecoming

Yesterday my cousin came home from his third tour in Iraq. I am so happy to be able to write that.

There were of dozens people huddled around a room holding signs and balloons for their loved ones, anxiously awaiting the arrival of the cars that held the best Christmas present anyone could wish for.

I clapped as the crowd erupted when the soldiers began to file into the room.

Families anxiously waiting while the soldiers were debriefed. I never knew ten minutes could feel so long.

I watched as husbands and wives embraced after months of being apart. I watched mothers and fathers greet their sons and daughters, each crying tears of joy. I watched a dad meet his one-month old daughter for the first time.

Then, I saw my cousin run up to his wife and give her a hug for the first time in eight months. I watched as he picked her up and tears filled his eyes.

And, in that moment I realized that nothing else in the world mattered. They had each other and that was more than enough.

The world may be a dark place but that room was glowing with love. We all need more moments like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment