09 February 2011

little interruptions

You know that feeling when you have a set plan and then you run into someone and that plan changes suddenly? I had not one but two of those incidences today, but in a good way.

Incident 1: I was in Squires heading up to my favorite place to study (and actually get things accomplished) when I ran into my best friend. It's not often that he and I are together alone - my "group" consists of the fabulous four (they hate that I use that title) who pretty much do everything together. I sat down next to him and we talked. We talked and talked until he had go to class...45 minutes later. We talking about people and life and the future and our families. We talked and listened, taking turns sharing our hopes and mostly fears. For two people so completely different, it was amazing how much we connected on our thoughts about life after Virginia Tech. I love that about people; how you can think you are different from someone and then find out that you actually connect on a level you didn't think was possible.

Incident 2: After he left, I went to grab some quick lunch and finally head up to my study corner. It was there that I ran into another good friend of mine, someone who I don't see very often but when we do get together we talk about anything and everything. Running into her is always a good point in my day, and today I got to chill with her until I went to class. We sat on the floor in Squires, talking and studying, sharing little details of our weeks. It was nice to have someone who I could talk to and study with at the same time. The thing I love about our relationship is that we aren't afraid to say anything to each other and that makes our time together so real - an excellent way to gear up for a three hour class.

Sometimes you have plans. Most of the time, those plans change. I didn't get as much work done as I had hoped but I spent time and connected with two friends - time I know was not wasted. So embrace the little interruptions in your day, they may just make your day worth while.

No comments:

Post a Comment