23 January 2011

craft time

Break from college = super craft time. This past winter break my sister and I decided to take old cabinets (courtesy of our neighbor's kitchen renovation) and turn them into adorable hangers! Here's how we did it:

Step 1: Acquire cabinet doors. We got lucky with our neighbor; if you aren't so lucky, I actually have no idea how to get old cabinet doors (sorry!) so be creative!

Step 2: Sand those suckers. With help from our awesome father and his awesome power sander it was easy. And we had way too much fun with this part.

My beautiful sister with power tools.
Dad and his girls.
Trying my hardest to be artsy.

Step 3: Paint. My favorite part! For our cabinets we chose three colors: one to on the front pane, one for the middle part, and a final for the outside. My colors? Sunbeam and fresh guacamole. Also, chalkboard paint for the front pane (I am so obsessed with this stuff!).

Make sure to paint the lightest color first, that way if you mess up it gets covered.

Step 4: Add some knobs or hooks so that you can hang things from the board. My favorite place to find knobs is Anthropologie or check out a local antique store. Home Depot or Lowes works too! Also, if you want a place to hold chalk, take a cabinet cup pull and attach it upside down! The chalk sits right in there and it looks adorable.

Step 5: Add something on the back to hang it. My dad likes to attach wire to it, put a nail in the wall and hang it from there - it holds really well, promise!

I plan on using mine to hang jewelry from but we have another one my roommates and I use for our car keys. Have fun being creative!!

Finished product - I am so in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment